Thursday, November 10, 2016

RLW

I didn't realize it before but I would usually attempt to read pieces as if I had written them--this is when I was younger though. I used to hear people say that reading was so boring and I agreed with them at first. As kids though, there wassn't a lot that interested us or kept our attention for very long. So whenever I used to hear other students in my class complaining, I always wondered if there was a solution to solve this problem of literary boredom. As I thought about what did keep my attention, I realized it was our imaginations that were supposed to fuel us for reading. Then it dawned on me, putting myself in the writer's shoes is how I would keep my interests. It wasn't quite the same as RLW now but it seems pretty relevant when being compared. When RLW now, we're being asked to identify exactly what the writer was going for. What audience were they targeting? Why did they write the story? If identifiable, what was the message? What was the tone? Can you see yourself in the setting? All of these questions are key to using this technique. It's pretty much the same for children when using their imagination. For me, reading became a fantasy reality for the sake of remaining interested in the story. I just never knew there was a name for engulfing yourself in a writing piece.

1 comment:

  1. Nate,

    I like reading your work -- you're a very thoughtful and articulate young man. I wanted to take this opportunity to pass along one quick thought: make sure that you use the "Template of Moves" handout for your PB2B and, if you choose to analyze moves for your upcoming paper, for WP2. It didn't seem like you referenced/used it at all.

    Keep up the good work.

    Z

    ReplyDelete